[crossfire] CVS branches

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 10 13:15:42 CDT 2005

Joining thread a bit late, trolling a bit perhaps :)

I personnaly would enjoy a branch policy on crossfire cvs (whatever it is, a
bad decision is always better than no decision).
I don't think we need branching at each release (unless we
want to keep a few weeks after release a bugfixing branch while
devels can develop addons in main branch).

Also there is no need for systematic branching imho. Branching would be very
usefull to team develop big change while keeping a relatively stable branch
available for common developpers. But, if we tagged the release, branching
can be done even months after, but originate from the tagging. This way, if
we need branching for release bug-fix, the branch can be created when we
first need it!

But perhaps, we need more of a release and development policy. I may be the
only one to think this, but isn't developpement here a bit too democratic
(without much obligation, other than discussing big changes in ML). Coders
put add-ons they like and which meet some players need. This is great. But
maybe, to have a good release policy, devels should make once a year or alike
their 'development plan' (what and when add-ons could be done) and submit it.
Then a few reviewer amonst us would analyze all given plan and provide a
yearly timeline on when we will release and what should be in for each
release.

Pehaps crossfire lacks a global analytical part (instead of each coder having
their own analysis wich, according to my experience, can be a complete
opposite of some other coder analysis)

Currently, If we go on quarterly releases, i have no idea what is forseen to
be on following release! And am sure am not the only one. Lots of other open
source projects have a clear idea of what is to be done for when. Even if the
delays are not to be followed strictly (some project releases years after
forseen date :) ) this give a clear view to users and also to developers.

Did i say trolling?