[crossfire] Am interested in porting to Mac

Amorya North amorya at amorya.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 18:25:03 CDT 2005

I'm interested in porting Crossfire to MacOS.

I know that the existing client can be made to run on MacOS - I am
using it myself. However, it requires Apple's development tools to be
installed, an X server running and a lot more technical knowledge
than most users possess. If we had a native client, it might become
more popular amongst Mac users.

If I go ahead with this, I'll write the client in Objective-C using
the Cocoa API. Hopefully I'll be able to reuse some of the backend
code (such as packet parsing) by wrapping it in an objective-C
object. That does depend on my learning exactly how the existing
client works though!

I write this message looking for opinions. Do you think it's a good
idea? Anyone interested in seeing such a thing? One reason for taking
on the project is for me to learn more about Cocoa, especially
relating to graphics - so all is not lost if I'm the only one using it!

Please post your thoughts.

Amorya