[crossfire] Am interested in porting to Mac

Amorya North amorya at amorya.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 20:31:43 CDT 2005

On 11 Aug 2005, at 01:00, Alex Schultz wrote:

      Another option is that someone could build the existing GTK client

      with gtk-cocoa (

      http://gtk-cocoa.sourceforge.net/

      ), which would

      allow it to run without the X server running and such.

It's worth looking into.

I don't know specifics about gtk-cocoa but most cross-platform widget
converty things tend to give back a bizarre amalgamation of the
original look-and-feel and the Mac one, which is often worse than
either of the two extremes! The test image shows a fair few things
which just look 'wrong' to a Mac user - even if many of them can't
put their finger on why. (It's mainly things where the original app
goes against Apple's interface guidelines - like having boxes within
boxes, or centre aligned field labels, or a series of buttons within
a scrollview. All fine (I guess!) for a GTK app, but makes the app
feel out of place on a Mac.)

The advantage of such a port would be that it'd be quicker to make,
and it'd make the finished product as simple as a drag-and-drop
install for users. The latter is my main goal, so it's worth
considering.

However, at the moment I'm thinking that if it's worth doing it's
worth doing properly. This is partly because of this quote:

"At present, Gtk+-Cocoa is functional but incomplete. Because of the
approach chosen for the port, each Gtk widget had to be mapped to
the corresponding Cocoa  control. Given the number of Gtk widgets,
many of them have not been mapped yet or only provide partial
functionality."

Also, if I'm making an effort to bring Crossfire to Mac users, I may
as well do so in a form that as many of them as possible will find
easy to use and free from niggles.

      You may want to build it within the existing framework and link

      directly to the C code in the common directory, because that way

      this native MacOS client could eventually become an official part

      of the source tree, and one advantage of that is that many protocol

      changes would be handled from the code in the common directory

      which would then make handling such changes in the MacOS port very

      easy.

Yeah, that'd be good. I use an IDE instead of makefiles, so it
wouldn't be tied into the build system (unless someone else helps me
out there), but I could keep all my code in one folder (macos/ or
something) and any Mac users who want to compile from source could
open the project file from within there.

Thanks for your help!