[crossfire] CVS branches

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Aug 11 02:33:44 CDT 2005

Brendan Lally wrote:

      On Monday 08 Aug 2005 07:49, Mark Wedel wrote:

       If other people want to help with releases, that would be great.  Having

     a more frequent (quarterly) release schedule would also be good.

       Even people taking some portiosn of the release (maps, archs) reduces the

     effort a bit on my side - those bits aren't really hard, but if I save

     myself 15 minutes, that is always nice.

      I'll volunteer if someone will point me to a suitable HOWTO document/checklist

      of things to do.

  this is actually a script I have:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Did you remember to update the version?"
gtar --exclude=CVS --exclude=unlinked --exclude=test -hcvf maps.tar maps
gzip -cv9 maps.tar > maps.tar.gz &
bzip2 -cv9 maps.tar > maps.tar.bz2&

gtar --exclude=CVS --exclude=dev -cvf arch.tar arch
gzip -cv9 arch.tar > arch.tar.gz &
bzip2 -cv9 arch.tar > arch.tar.bz2&

cd crossfire-CVS; make dist
cd client-CVS; make archive

  But the slightly more detailed bits - at least for arch and maps:
do cvs update -dp to make sure all up to date.
cvs tag rel-1-8-0 (or whatever) to tag the files.
Then run those tar and zip commands.

  The server and client are a little more complicated - in those cases, the
version number has to be updated in the configure.am/in file, and then
autoconf/automake run, then has to verify that everything does build.  Then a
cvs commit for those new files, followed by the cvs tag, then followed again by
the make dist/archive so that the files distributed really match those.

  That said, the client really needs to be updated to use automake throughout
it.  When I put in the gtk-v2 client, it was using automake, so kept that, but
its this funky automake/non automake hybrid.  automake provides the make dist
for us, so as long as the file listing in the makefiles is kept updated, that
makes life easier.

      crossfire at metalforge.org