[crossfire] Extensions to building

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Aug 15 23:20:20 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

      I don't know much about the styles for random maps and such, but I

      wonder: would it be possible to use unique floors in a random map so it

      would work like normal unique maps? If so, I think such a random map

      approach would be a good one to make buyable buildable pocket dimension

      things.

  unique floors in random maps will basically do nothing at all, or worse,
really screw things up.

  That is because unique floor information is stored based on map name.  random
map names are basically just an increasing value (goblin001, goblin002), so the
unique stuff would be stored as goblin002.  When the goblin maps reset, the next
series will start at a higher number, and thus, the unique info won't be found.

  IF the server does restart, then the unique names may be used again.  But then
at that point, the new map and last unique map are not likely to match, so the
unique stuff is not likely to show up as expected (and if the new map size is
smaller, unique stuff could be out of the map bounds).