[crossfire] Extensions to building

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Tue Aug 16 00:35:36 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

      I've defiantly been planning on using scrolls/books for the magic ears

      and mouths, because one can already make talking books and write

      multi-line messages in them etc, Which makes them ideal for magic ears

      and mouths. I'm also thinking now of making the magic ears/mouths that

      are buildable have the name "talking book" or "talking scroll"

      depending on what was used to store the information, and also take the

      same picture used by the book/scroll, that way it's something tangible

      so it's easy to use the generic destroyer on to get rid of it and at

      the same time makes some sense to the player. I'm also thinking that

      it should have the same building material for the ear and the mouth,

      and just choose which depending on if the book/scroll used has an

      "@match" in it.

      For the teleporter I'm thinking that using a book/scroll approach

      isn't so good of an idea, because it's difficult for a player to

      figure out the coordinates. I'm thinking instead, that the player

      renames any old item to "TELEPORT TARGET" or something like that, and

      places it anywhere in the same map, and the teleporter searches for

      that when it's made (the teleport target doesn't disappear, and can

      just be picked up again after use).

      For all of those I plan to keep with the same marking rune system for

      the connected values, and I have been planning to  have them visible

      anyways so players can easily destroy them if needed.

Just committed the support for buildable magic ears/mouths to CVS, which
as a side affect also allows buildable signs. I've tested it and it
seems to work perfectly and doesn't break any old behavior at all. I
haven't committed any materials for it yet, but if anybody wants to test
it, just use a dm command such as "create 1 building_vertical_gate
slaying magic_ear" (replace magic_ear with magic_mouth, or sign, or
something like that if you want to try non-ear things). As soon as this
is better tested I will add some materials for it to CVS, or if anybody
else wants to they're perfectly welcome.

    Thanks,
        Alex Schultz