[crossfire] gcfclient and sign display

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Tue Aug 16 06:18:02 CDT 2005

      On 8/16/05, tchize <

      tchize at myrealbox.com

      > wrote:

      > Le Mardi 16 Août 2005 09:30, Mark Wedel a écrit :

      > > 4) No button or the like to dismiss it - have to use whatever functionality your

      > > window manager provides to dismiss it.

      > Could be added i suppose, though i don't see why the window manager way of closing

      > windows is an issue.

      actually, I would have to support this point, there needs to be a

      close button that is focused by default, ideally also bound to the

      shortcut key 'a' so that pressing 'a' over a sign would act like a

      toggle.

ok

      > > 5) Since info appears in that window, it does not appear in the normal windows,

      > > thus, once destroyed (or you read another sign), you lose the contents.  Thus,

      > > that information on the sign at the start of the dungeon may effectively be lost

      > > (won't be in scrollback buffer).

      > I guess it could be duplicated in normal text windows.

      Storage of information strikes me as something more suitable for Ryo's

      quest management system (once he decides how to reimplement it) rather

      than buried somewhere in the middle of lots of kill information in the

      still-crowded text windows

      One thing that might also be interesting though would be if applying a

      sign would give an invisible object with a copy of the text and a food

      value. This would then gradually disappear, and there could be a

      recall command to popup a sign window containing a copy of the

      message.

      Even better would be if the food value were a role against Int, and if

      recalling a sign with a low food value corrupted the message

      (arbitrarily transposed some words, or mispelt some things) - the

      recall then, would be the memory of the /character/, and not the

      player.

      Obviously rereading the original sign would need to reset the food value.

Out of topic considering we are speaking of client side handling of signs.
This all has to do with server side quest system enhancements.

Regards.

      crossfire at metalforge.org