[crossfire] Re: [Crossfire-cvs] CVS commit: crossfire

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Aug 16 23:15:20 CDT 2005

Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:

     It is also a mistake for me to send as void* (as opposed to const

     void*), since it's then easy to change the string in the plugin which

     would lead to data corruption.

      I agree. But wouldn't it be better to leave out the type casts and let

      the compiler issue warnings? After all, (as you pointed out) it *is* a

      problem, so suppressing the warning is not good.

  My two cents:

  If we know it is a problem, but one which we consider safe, I'd rather supress
the warnings.

  Otherwise, what happens is you get 500 warnings (or some other large number),
and you'll just ignore them all.

  If we fix the warnings that in a sense we know about, then any warning that is
spit out is a real issue and needs to be examined.  That examination may reveal
that the behaviour is 'ok', and putting a cast in or whatever supresses the
warning and go on.

  In other cases, warning may find a real problem for us.  And that is a good thing.