[crossfire] Quests ideas, continued

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Aug 17 00:26:02 CDT 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Hello.

      Quests are subdivided in "tasks". You don't need to complete all tasks

      to complete the quest. So for instance if you ask an ncp you'll get to

      know the shortcut to the big manor with the villain you're supposed to

      kill, but you don't require it.

  It'd probably be nice if that is somehow setable (eg, you need to do tasks
1,5,6, but 2 and 3 are optional).   Not positive how hard that would be to set up.

      Quests/tasks should be able to interact/start/end when player:

      * takes an item

      * talks to a npc/...

      * goes to a specific place

      * activates an altar

  I'd like that be be more general - activates any connected object, just not an
altar.  Might not make sense to tie some actions, but I think the ability would
make it more flexible.

      Quests rewards:

      * items

      * skill

      * experience (either some levels, some rough exp, a percentage of exp

      needed to level, ...)

  If this is a level or percentage of a level, then I think some form of cap is
needed.  Eg, you don't want high level characters doing easy quests as a way to
get a level in something.

      * when the quest is completed, keep tasks for later referral. Or maybe

      remove some?

  probably want to record quests that where completed, not sure if we care about
unfinished tasks.

      Performance issues: many inventory checks required. Move quests items in

      a specific sublist at load time?

  Some checks, but it seems not very often.

  Monsters being killed doesn't happen that often, so checking their contents at
that time isn't that big a deal.

  All the rest are relatively infrequent (player talking, altar, etc).  So I
don't think performance wise, it shoudl be much an issue.