[crossfire] autogeneration of news file

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 17:07:02 CDT 2005

On 8/20/05, Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote:

        In my mind, the news file should contain broader/bigger changes.

        Grabbing all the data from the Changelog is likely to be more data/detail than

      most people care about.  Are players really going to care that the global arrays

      are now consts, or that pointers have been fixed up?  Probably not.

agreed, however short of somehow adding tags to the log messages, I
can't see a sane way to do that, In theory something could be done
with bayesian filtering to try and determine which commits are
low-level things and therefore can be ignored. However I suspect
ultimately any attempt to automate this will still involve judicious
use of 'dd', so I can't see that being worth the effort involved.

Still, an unfiltered list could be a useful place to start from, at
least using the log messages from CVS means that the description of
changes is no worse than that given by the committer.