[crossfire] Mac client - status

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Aug 20 23:23:30 CDT 2005

Amorya North wrote:

      I've got somewhere. Common files compile in now, and work fine. I've

      got a vague event loop up and running, and some of the callbacks  work.

      I've got as far as displaying text sent to the console, and  displaying

      a list of current stats.

      Here's a screenshot:

      http://www.amoryanorth.com/crossmac.png

      There's a lot I don't understand about the common code still - in

      particular, what the create_and_rescale_image_from_data() function is

      actually supposed to do! But I'm working on it.

  Just as it sounds.

  All image data is png.  However, the png data has to be converted to something
that the display system knows how to display.

  In order to abstract this, the cache_entry image_data pointer is basically
private - whatever the display specific code deams to store there is fine.

  The basic idea of this is to have the caching logic all in the common code (if
it gets a face it knows about, it will do the right thing), but have the actual
rendering code in the client area.

  For the gtk and gtk-v2 clients, that function is perhaps a bit messier than
need be, because those clients support different display modes (pixmap, sdl, and
in case of gtk-v2, opengl), so what exactly is stores there may be different.

  The rescale part is jsut that - rescaling of the image.  You may decide for
your client that you don't want to allow rescaling - that's your choice.  Just
for the gtk clients, people wanted to be able to rescale the data so they could
play on lower resolution displays.