[crossfire] Crossedit patches

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Aug 20 23:53:43 CDT 2005

Kevin Rudat wrote:

      Crossedit - which of these would you accept, please?

       * Fix: not drawing floor at weird times.

       * Fix: large faces

       * Fix: regions

       * Fix: Map attribute editor

       * Fix(?): Using window manager's close functions closes the window rather

         than stopping crossedit.

       * Feature: Display only certain things, like the Java editor can.

       * Feature: crossedit starts faster - images uploaded to xserver when needed

       * Some user documentation

  It's sort of a mixed issue.

  On the one hand, crossedit is basically obsoleted, so I don't want to spend a
bunch of time and resources maintaining it.

  On the other, if people want to do so, who am I to say don't do it.

  That said, when doing such patches, it makes it much easier to deal with if
each patch is limited to what is if fixing/adding, and not redoing other code,
or a collection of fixes.  Small focused patches are much easier to look over
and be convinced that they do the right thing.

  And while not an issue with crossedit, the general case is that if the patches
can be isolated, more likely to apply correctly or figure out what is going on.
  If the patch does several things and very large, odds are more likely that it
may get a conflict, and it can also be harder to tell what the correction to
that conflict is (eg, not clear what bug/feature is being addressed).