[crossfire] Re: Map Protocol Question

alex_sch at telus.net alex_sch at telus.net
Mon Aug 22 06:42:05 CDT 2005

Quoting Andreas Kirschbaum <

     kirschbaum at myrealbox.com

     >:

      Maybe I did use the wrong words here, but the client does not just

      ignore the map_scroll command: I tried to say that the client currently

      has an empty map. Now he receives the map_scroll command and properly

      scrolls the map view. But since an empty map scrolled by one tile is

      still an empty map I said it "basically ignores" the map_scroll command.

     Ok, I see what you mean now.

      (with S=Scorn, G=gatehouse, E=empty)

      Therefore the client updates his map view as follows:

      1. newmap: client clears his map view; it is now E.

      2. diff S->G: client "patches" his map view (currently E) with a

         difference S->G. This is not correct because that difference should

         be applied to the map view S, but not to E.

      3. diff E->G: client "patches" his map view (currently "E patched by

         S->G", which is often "G with a few blank holes in it"). Again, this

         is not correct because this difference should be applied to the map

         view E but not to "G with holes".

     Ok, I see, and the problem is when the the map_scroll happens after the S->G
diff, and the diff E->G happens after the map_scroll. Now I think I understand.

   Alex Schultz