> > We've had this discussion a few months ago. No one could give me a
> > good reason why we should register the group as non-profit. (execpt
> > for tax-deducting donated HW, which there isn't any)
><snip>

> I think TCLUG is past the critical mass in membership it needs to
> sustain itself.  In fact, we're large enough to have our own SIG's.
> Take tclug-devel for example.  Maybe it is time we address Linux for
> Noobeez. ;-)

Actually my company has "donated" several hundred dollars, too, to pay for
those TCLUG print outs and biz cards. Not to mention the time I spent
designing the logo etc.

The problem I see with becoming a non-profit is that we'll need to start
accounting, we need fill out tax forms and we'll need a board. We'll need
people to keep track of dues, etc. I've seen a few groups fall apart at this
point, because while there are many members, there are no people willing
(and qualified) to volunteer a large amount of time to deal with the actual
business aspects.

jacque