On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 16:47, nassarmu at redconcepts.net wrote:

> > NFS requires at a minimum nfs support in kernel, nfs-utils, portmap.
> > Not all machines have this. NFS sucks rancid monkey chunks.
>
> Most distros have this stuff as standard, so this should not be a problem

Good point.  unless the user has removed it from his or her kernel,
which is more than likely not the case for the average new user.

Mounting an nfs volume is is just a simple mount command, no different
than mounting a cdrom.  Were not talking about have NFSD on all
machines,  just a single master.  I "think" all that the clients need to
have in their kernels is "CONFIG_NFS_FS"

And for those who don't have it in their kernel, maybe it would be a
good chance compile it in as module and be done with it.  Then it's
available for other installfests if you need it.

I use NFS @ home between my server and three clients, one 802.11b, and
never had a problem.  Stream MP3's all day long!

(yes I know this is not a REAL test/valadition of NFS, just my 2 cents
worth)