On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:17:58AM -0600, Dan Drake wrote:
> Whose bright idea was it to have `j' be the option for handling bzipped
> tarballs? And whose not-very-bright-at-all idea was it to *change* that
> to `y'? My Debian unstable system has "j tar", the math department has
> "y tar". It drives me nuts!

You forgot I.  A number of people favor explicitly piping between tar
and bzip2 simply to avoid the j/y/I issue.

> It seems like it wouldn't be difficult to extend the `z' option to
> handle bzip2 archives, by simply looking at the file's extensions. Or
> looking at the first bytes of the file and recognizing the binary
> formats.

For decoding/extracting, that makes good sense.  For encoding/
creating an archive, it would be arguably the Wrong Thing.  z = gzip,
not bzip2.

> It doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. Why hasn't anybody
> done that yet?

a)  Tradition
b)  Backwards-compatibility
c)  Symmetry
d)  All of the above

--
have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss