On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Mike Hicks wrote:

> Jima <jima at gimp.damnation.net> wrote:
>
> On the flipside, I won't be surprised at all if a number of companies
> decide to start shipping OS-less machines, or if more and more start
> offering Linux.  I think PC makers are finally getting it in their heads
> that Microsoft isn't the greatest company there ever was, and are becoming
> more willing to give MS the finger and go do their own thing.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

The original IBM PC was shipped with either MSDOS or CPM, not
exclusively MSDOS (IIRC). The reason MSDOS won out was it was ~$40
less expensive. CPM was significantly better than the early versions
of MSDOS.

Apply the same logic to MSWindows vs. Linux, and you see that as soon
as enough of the major vendors take off the blindfolds they
have put on themselves and do the math they will be shipping OSless
and Linux boxes in steadily increasing numbers.

Regardless of how "ready" Linux is.

The upper management at WalMart don't know computers, but they
do know their math.

--
Daniel Taylor
dante at plethora.net