On Saturday 23 February 2002 06:58 pm, Samir M. Nassar wrote:
> I came across this link: http://www.byolinux.org/ the site explains how
> to build a linux system from scratch.
>
> It might be a good way for semi-newbies to know the guts of their
> system.
>
> It goes step-by-step and has screen shots.

There's also Linux From Scratch and Gentoo, which are in many ways the same
thing, so I understand.  Probably a very good idea for hobbyist semi-newbies,
as you suggest, but -- based on a SWAG -- probably not the best way for
somebody who wants to get a system up and doing stuff to start.

If I ever develop some free time -- what a concept! -- I'd be tempted to
build a Gentoo system, if only for the coolness of both roll-your-own, and
have-the-latest-versions-compiled-and-optimized-for-my-own system factors.

In the meantime, I'm likely to stick with Mandrake, which serves my needs
pretty well.

--
There's a widow in sleepy Chester