I just got a HP dv1000 with the ipw2200 Centrino chipset.  I'm running
Ubuntu, so I can't speak to Suse, but I updated to the latest firmware,
and installed the 1.04 drivers (both on http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net )
without any problems.  The 1.04 drivers require the latest firmware
copied over to hotplug.

Have you downloaded the latest Suse RPMs for both firmware and drivers
from http://wiki.version6.net/RPM ?

Does iwlist list any available networks?  Even before I upgraded the
drivers from 0.19 to 1.04, it would scan, I just couldn't get it configured.

Suse / Novell / Ximian hackers also wrote netapplet once you get it up
and running, it's a great network manager tool for scanning and jumping
on to wireless networks.

Paul