[crossfire] Server map redo: movement types

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Aug 31 01:59:31 CDT 2005

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I think that we should treat flying differently than walk,swim, etc.

      Flying should have to be initiated by the player.  You can fly almost

      anywhere you could swim of walk so flying shouldn't be automatic.  If

      you move from ground to water you or back you would switch from walk to

      swim but you could fly (or jump) you over either.  If you are flying you

      can't pick up stuff, won't trigger buttons, etc.

  Unless a race has native flying, the player would have to do something to
start flying (wear those boots, ready the skill, cast a spell).

  The question was really want to do once that has happened.  Eg, player has
applied the boots of levitation and now walks to a shop map, etc.

      I also think that even players with fly ability shouldn't be able to fly

      all the time but only for a period of time (based on CON or STR and race

      or spell?).  Jumping would basically be flying for one turn.

  Certainly depends on how they are flying.

  Something like levitation boots obviously give you permanent flying.

  A spell does have a duration.

  Now for skills, trickier issue.  One could argue there could be something like
a fatigue stat, and if you're too fatigued, have to stop using certain skills
(like flying or other strenous stuff).  Actually, this idea has merit, so I'll
start a different thread on fatigue.